The Government of Canada is leading consultations to inform planned accessibility legislation.
In-person sessions are coming soon to your community. Now is the chance to have your say. Read more.
Sign Up for a Voice of Our Own
A quarterly newsletter from CCD.
Promoting an Inclusive and Accessible Canada
Ramping Up to a Federal Election—For our kids, summer means no text books and homework for a few weeks. For our politicians, summer means doing the rounds of barbeques and various types of festivals, where they meet with the electorate. This summer will be especially busy for Canada’s politicians, as the pundits are predicting a fall election. If you encounter any of our Federal politicians this summer, discuss with them the issues that CCD would like to see addressed in party platforms for the next election. CCD has been informing all federal parties of our platform priorities.
CCD’s top 10 issues for party platforms—If we were writing the parties’ platforms, the commitments we would make to Canadians with disabilities are:
1. Make the Disability Tax Credit refundable for those without a taxable income who are DTC eligible.
2. Expand Employment Insurance Sickness Benefits from 15 to 50 weeks to address needs of those with episodic disabilities.
3. Renew and expand funding to the Court Challenges Program.
4. Regulate access to all federally regulated modes of transportation.
5. Ratify the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
6. Regulate access for persons with disabilities to new and existing information/communication technologies.
7. Harmonize the DTC and CPPD definitions. If eligible for CPPD, individuals should be automatically eligible for the DTC.
8. Create a new CPPD initiative to encourage employment and allow individuals to retain benefits and significant income from employment.
9. Energize Federal/Provincial/Territorial dialogues and initiatives regarding disability.
10. Provide greater support to NGO’s.